Monday 3 March 2014

Hexagon Hive Highlights

This is a new die in the Occasions catalogue. I found it worked best using a shim (an extra sheet of card on top of the card and die) it was quite firm to put through the BigShot but the little extra thickness resulted in a cleaner cut.

(Actually I have just realised theat my plates in the BigShot were not making good contact with the die so wasn't cutting cleanly. Once I made sure this wasn't happening it cuts beautifully so strike that last comment!)

I stamped a wood grain texture with the Wood Grain background stamp. The hexagon hive was cut in So Saffron cardstock. I thought it needed some contrast so added an embossed strip of Early Expresso card. I used one of the new Banner Thinlit dies for the sentiment and finished it off with the smallest flower on the Boho Blossom punch and the Sweetest Stem die for the leaves.

 

 

This one used Naturals Ivory for the hexagon layer and Soft Suede underneath this. The banner was cut from some Wonderful Watercolour DSP and the sentiment was stamped on more Natural Ivory. Flowers were made with the Boho Blossoms punch. I stamped the little flower from mosaic Madness on a few of the solid areas.

 

 

The Hexagon layer was stamped with the Parlor Prints and I used some of the Naturals White hexagons from the previous die cut to provide some contrast.

 

 

Pool Party and Island Indigo team up for this card. The banners were cut from Sweet Sorbet which was a free Sale-A-Bration packet of designer paper. I went for the tone on tone look by using the same colour for the hexagon hive and the card front.

 

 

I love this Wonderful Watercolour DSP which I used underneath the Hexagon Hive layer. I layered the sentiment banner with the next size banner cut in the same DSP.

 

 

I used another one of the Watercolor DSP sheets for this one. I love the varying shades of the colours. I used Island Indigo for the card base. The flowers were cut from various colours with the Petite Petals punch. The idea came from the net for this card as there were many similar cards.

 

 
Now I started to think outside the square a bit. I have always wanted a die that has the honeycomb outline so I carefully cut out a few of the solid hexagons with my craft knife. I distressed everything to give it a bit of an antique look. I made the DSP on MDS using a few different background overlays and some colour. I just printed it onto computer paper! I used a paper doily and some lace. I love mixing whites and creams like this.
 
 
This was inspired by a card on this website. http://magicalscrapworld.blogspot.nl/

 

Once I started thinking beyond using the die as a whole, all sorts of interesting ideas began happening. But I must move on and play with something else to show the lovely ladies on Saturday so I will put it away for now!

 

 

Actually, while we are still talking hexagons I cased this simple card on the net was Angela Maine. Love it's simplicity and the balance of the placement of the hexagons.

By the way the new banner die is a great asset to making sentiments a bit different. Try it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment