Monday 12 August 2013

Open Sea

This stamp set has been around for a while but it is hard to beat for masculine cards. It is particularly good over a brayered or sponged background.

This first card is very much inspired by a video I saw by Karen Philipp. In this presentation she shows you how she got the beautiful soft background behind the ship stamp. It is a great technique using waxed paper, Stampin' Up markers and a gel pen. This method could be used for all sorts of designs. Check out the video.


Close up of the design. 



 Instructions. 

For the background behind the ship use a scrap of watercolour paper or glossy card. Double over a piece of wax paper and scribble about 2 inches in Pool Party marker. Then scribble same amount Stampin' Up Island Indigo below the Pool party. Make sure the two different colours touch in the middle. Using a Calypso Coral marker scribble just a little in top left hand corner to act as an accent in the design. Spritz the wax paper until the ink beads a little.
Lay the Watercolour or glossy paper down in the puddle and press down without moving it. Try not to blend the colours too much as it will just look murky. Let it dry and then using Versamark ink, stamp the ship over the part you like the best, remembering it will be cut into a circle. Once the ink is dry colour in the sails with a white gel pen to give it some dimension. Put a few white squiggles in the sea for waves.


The second card is also inspired by something I saw on the web. (this is such a wonderful inspiring place to get ideas from!) Now however I can't find who created the original card but when I do I will add the link.


Instructions 

I cut a narrow panel of Whisper White cardstock 5.5 cm deep by 15 cm wide.

The technique I used for the background was one I often use for landscape cards:-

 I punched a small circle in a post it note ensuring that there was some adhesive at the top and placed it on the card where I thought the moon would be.

I made myself a template from card where I had simply torn a series of hills and valleys.



Firstly using Pool Party inkpad I brayered a light, uneven layer of ink across the whole panel. I didn't want an even coverage on the sky as I wanted it to look misty. Then using the template I sponged Island Indigo across the panel, moving it to make a series of waves. I did another uneven layer behind without re-inking the sponge to make it look further into the distance. Towards the bottom I added more waves this time using Midnight Muse and sponged around the bottom of the panel in Night of Navy. At the top I sponged a little Elegant Eggplant. 

Once the background was done I simply stamped the ship in Versamark ink. I finished the card front by embossing 2 lines to surround the panel with the Needlepoint Border  embossing folder and stamped the sentiment. I stuck the panel inside the embossed lines and then trimmed the very edge of the card. I usually do this rather than try to measure the exact size of a panel because no matter how careful you measure it never seems to end up flush. So much easier to line up the first edge and then just trim the second!

One final one for the day


If you would like any of these products you can purchase them through Stampin' Up. Just email me on kcrocker56@optusnet.com.au

Happy crafting!


No comments:

Post a Comment